We studied snails today and I learned so much more then I thought I would. Did you know that a snail can fold it's body in half and that it's eyes turn into themselves before they continue going into their shell? I had noticed those things when I was a kid, but I never really thought about it before. It was very interesting. Here are some highlights of the experience.
When Aubrin was done holding her snail she complained of having "boogers" on her fingers. It was super cute!
Bridger said they were eating like pigs. It was really quite neat to watch them. He pointed out that when he held his ear near them while they ate, he could hear them munching. I had to check it out and he was right!
By putting them in a glass jar we were able to see how they used their one and only foot, plus open their mouth and see their teeth. Sounds weird, but it was cool!
Slowly, slowly, very slowly
Goes the garden snail,
Slowly, slowly, very slowly,
Up the garden rail.
~ Nursery Rhyme
Read other people's "Talk About Tuesday"
Goes the garden snail,
Slowly, slowly, very slowly,
Up the garden rail.
~ Nursery Rhyme
Read other people's "Talk About Tuesday"
5 comments:
"Snails see the benefit, the beauty in every inch."
-A song by The Format
I never knew those facts about snails either. Great post!
It is always so interesting what you can find out about the little creatures in your yard.
Thanks for coming over to play yesterday. We had lots of fun.
It's so fun to see kids so fascinated in the smallest things!
You take great pictures by the way. =)
How interesting! I never knew those things about snails either!
Makaela would be so into this!
How fun! My Mom has a little snail jail made with razor blades that the snails can climb right over without getting cut. The kids love to play with snails at her house. In fact that's what Lovely was doing while I was in the hospital with the new baby!
Post a Comment