Most of you, but not all, know that I homeschool my children. I love doing it, but it is not easy. Homeschooling takes discipline, patience, and money. But, I am personally growing and learning as I teach my wee ones, and it has been such a blessing for my family.
My one frustration with homeschooling is the opposition I receive from others. I am constantly being challenged by strangers, friends, and even family.
Well, on one of my homeschool forums, someone posted the "Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List" by Deborah Markus and I feel it's sad to say, but I agree with most of her "list." My personal favorites are numbers 2, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 20, 24, 25. If you take the time to read those you will learn a little of what I've faced in the last two years. BUT ~ I wouldn't change it for anything.
I also want to say that Deborah is very blunt and non-homeschooler's might take offense to what she says. And though her words make homeschoolers laugh, it also makes us sad, because it speaks the truth. But, please know that I try my very best to give the respect that I would so much like to receive. If your children go to public or private schools, I back you up 100%! Education is, and should be, a personal decision.
The greatest thing I've learned from homeschooling is this ~ Life is a lot of Blessings mixed with a little Opposition. It just doesn't always make life easier knowing it.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Blessings + Opposition = Being A Homeschooler
Posted by
Chanelle
at
11:12 AM
Labels: Homeschool, Opinions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have to say, it's so funny how EVERYONE has an opinion about how we all choose to raise our children. I say, "Hats off to you for making such a sacrifice and doing what you know is best for your kids." I really believe that in most situations, parents know what is right for their own children. I think what you do is terrific!!!
Two of David's sisters have chosen to home school there children (for completely different reasons) and have talked about many of the same issues. As long as you believe that it is right for your family, then go full steam ahead. I know that it can be quite challenging but really rewarding. One thing that impresses me the most is how you (all) seem to manage your home schooler(s) and a toddler.
Only time will tell what we will do. While in Asia it is definitely going to be either private school or home school. There are so many advantages to both.
I usually just stick to the philosophy that a mother needs to do what she knows is best for her own family, no matter what other people might say. I had no idea the kind of opposition that is out there, thanks for sharing this.
It's Deborah Markus' birthday today, and she wants to thank you for your kind words about her writing! (She also wants to figure out why she started talking in the third person and how she can stop...)
--Deborah, enjoying her thirty-tenth birthday
Oh Chanelle - Thanks for the laugh. I am so glad that I have learned so much more about this through you and a few other friends of mine!!! Anyhow, I laughed out loud about the thought of all of our sorry butts in school while you all are at the amusement park! Thanks for sharing and thanks for putting up with all the crap you get from everyone from complete strangers to family to friends to who knows who else.
WOW~ Thanks for the comments. I really didn't think that I was going to get any on this post. But, it was nice see your support and hear what you guys had to say.
And I'm was so excited to see a comment from Deborah, her self! I'm glad that she liked my meager words and hoped that she had a great birthday ~
(I could have wished you a Happy Birthday if I hadn't been thrown off by your third person comment ~ ;) )
It's a miracle! I can talk in the first person!
Thank you, I had as good a time getting older as anyone can. By the way, I noticed from your library that you're a Bronte/Austen fan as well. How nice to meet someone who doesn't think you have to choose one over the other! (Most Austen fans I know think the Brontes, especially Emily, are too dark; and Bronte lovers often dismiss Austen, in large part because Charlotte did in writing!)
--Deborah
Post a Comment