Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Simple things that are ornate, make me smile"

Ten years ago, I was a new bride that was afraid to wear clothes that "weren't me," or decorate my house because it didn't fit "my style." Truth was, I didn't know who I was or what I felt comfortable in. But, I think that even though I was uncertain what I liked, I've always known deep down my personal maxim of "Simple things that are ornate, make me smile." And I feel that our wedding rings were the catalyst of my developing maxim.

Our wedding rings are very simple ~ Dave has a band and I have a two bands with a single setting. But, when we were choosing the bands and diamond, we were introduced to a gun engraver. He was an elderly man whose hands shook terribly while he drew us a draft and his lines were all over the paper. I was so scared he was going to mess up my rings, but I had faith that he won't be doing it unless he was able. And I'm so glad I did because they turned out perfect! So even though our bands are very simple we added a little touch to them and I absolutely loved the scrolls and infinity symbol.

And now, looking at them ten years later, I realize that it was the start of enjoying simple things that are ornate. I just didn't have the words to form the maxim until recently.

2 comments:

Rencher Fam said...

What a beautiful ring Chanelle. I loved to hear the story behind it!

{sheree} said...

So beautiful!