I've been learning the Elements of Euclid and Bridger has been enjoying it with me. I didn't think he would really grasp it, but he will actually beg to study it.
Well, after reading through a few propositions I decided that I needed to invest in a compass and actually try one. Today was my first attempt and of course Bridger wanted to do it, too. I let him have the compass and when I came back he had done Proposition 1! (Which is create an equilateral triangle from a given line) My seven year old is learning Euclid! He couldn't have made his mother happier. ;)
of reasoning as I understood ‘demonstration’ to be. I consulted all the dictionaries and books of reference I could find, but with no better results. You might as well have defined ‘blue’ to a blind man. At last I said, ‘Lincoln, you can never make a lawyer if you do not understand what ‘demonstrate’ means ; and I left my situation in Springfield, went home to my father’s house, and stayed there until I could give any proposition in the six books of Euclid at sight. I then found out what ‘demonstrate’ means, and went back to my law studies.’
2 comments:
Are you saying I should take six months off from being a Mother in order to learn Euclid? I'll do it! Oh, how I wish I had gotten a real education before I had kids.
Hehe! I sure wish that was what I was implying! I would do it, too. But, I can't, so I guess I'll take a year learning Euclid while still being a mother. LOL
And I agree with you! I wish had a real education before kids, too. Then maybe my scholar phase would have taken me only 4-5 years, instead of twenty. But, I guess scholar phase is better then no scholar phase ~ :)
Post a Comment