Monday, June 30, 2008

We finished our fire pit!

There was a section of our yard that was a jungle of weeds and at one point I considered planting a garden there, but then realized it would be quite overwhelming for this city girl. So after being inspired by our dear friend's fire pit, I made my own. I thought it would be a great way to entertain friends and then I could have an cottage flower, herb, and vegetable garden surrounding it, which would be much more doable. Well, after three weeks of very hard work and lifting a ton of rocks, we have finally finished our fire pit! It feels so good and I love the way it turned out.

Here's pictures of the process~





The first step was to pull up the weeds and clear the area of debris. This picture was taken after 3 days of picking weeds! It was a ton of work, but feels so good to have them out. Now I just have to maintain it.









The next step was to dig our 6 inch deep hole and place the pipe for the fire pit.











We all got really dirty during this process.
I haven't mopped my kitchen floor since I started
because it was pointless with all the dirt and mud we were working in. But, we are done and I finally get to mop! :)








The next step was to
lay gravel. This was hard, sweaty work!














Then the plastic retaining border and sand for the stone to rest on, came next.










All done with the sand and excited
to start laying the stone!






TaaDaa! Here is our fire pit and patio all done. I feel like it turned out real nice. I really did my research before and hope that it all stays put. I've already planted some herbs and flowers (not many yet, but I will hit it hard next year). I am going to plant little ground cover in the cracks (either Irish moss or something like it), and Dave is going to build me an arbor for the entrance, that my honeysuckles can climb up (they are placed next to the path ready to be put in the ground.)


Dave also made a hot dog rotisserie roaster and smore's rest. I hate cold chocolate in my smore's so the little rest moves over the fire to warm it up. I think it will be a good spot to put a plate on and keep hot dogs warm, too.

We are having a bunch of friends over to celebrate the Fourth and I can't wait to use it! I'm so excited.

I'm also excited that it
is all done! LOL


13 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Wow! It looks beautiful. Those honeysuckles will make it smell lovely.

Kids in the Kong said...

Awesome! But, it makes me miss home.

Diane said...

Wow it looks awesome what a great job!!!!!!

Dreamer said...

That is the coolest! We are putting in french doors and a patio next summer (this year we're working on a garage) I'll have to remember this. I want a fire pit!It turned out so nice!

Rencher Fam said...

Wow Chanelle! I'm impressed! What a fun place that will be to spend time with family and friends. Looks like we are going to miss out. Hope you all have a fantastic 4th of July!

Veggiemomof2 said...

Boy is that going to be a popular spot this fall! :) Looks great.

{sheree} said...

Wow! It looks great! What a fun place to hang out!

Danica said...

You do great work! Your firepit and rock work looks great! Can't wait to see it in real life.

Rebecca said...

Awesome! Can't wait to use it this fall! How fun!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

What a great family spot that is! You guys did a good job!

~ Sarah

Trudy said...

Wow Chanelle! We need to send in your before and after pictures to one of those home improvement makeover shows. Look out Martha and Rachel Ray, here comes Chanelle!

Lara said...

It looks amazing! I can't believe what hard workers you are!

Teresa said...

LOVE this post Chanelle. In fact, I had to look through your comments to make sure that I hadn't already commented! The photo essay is awesome. We've been wanting to build a fire pit, and this post really has me excited and eager to get started!