Bridger has begged and begged for a hamster for about a year or two and we never felt that he was responsible enough to take care of one, so we never bought him one. Then I got a wonderful idea from the Lazy Organizer. In her home she gives her children the option of being "Masters" over their household duties in which they get paid for doing them. But they have to prove they are worth the pay first, by doing the duty for a month without being asked and instructed. The lucky woman now has a live in master dish washer, who just happens to be her 10 year old son! She is brilliant!
Well, one time when Bridger was begging for a hamster again I thought I would tailor this idea to my family. So I told Bridger that when he could keep his room clean for month I would buy him a hamster. He really didn't like the idea and kept protesting, but I firmly stated that was the conditions if he wanted a hamster.
It took about six months, but one day he came to me and said he was ready to do it. I didn't quite believe him, but as the days added up I knew he wanted it bad enough. Well, yesterday was the last day of his month and tonight for FHE we went and bought a hamster! I am so proud of him! It is so weird to have a little creature in the house, but it is wonderful that Bridger's room is clean!
(We bought an adorable Robo hamster and you see him in his little house if you click on the picture.)
Monday, June 2, 2008
His room is clean and he earned a hamster!
Posted by
Chanelle
at
9:13 PM
Labels: Bridger, Organizing, Talk About Tuesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Congrats Bridger, way to go.
That is fabulous! He has got to be so proud of himself and what he accomplished through hard work. Good job Master Room Cleaner!!!
This is such a great idea! I am sure he will enjoy his hamster, you are a better mom than I... no pets for me!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com
I love it - what did he name the hamster? Way to go buddy - can we come see your new pet?
Congratulations on your hamster, Bridger! It is VERY nice of your mama to get you a pet--my children wish I would do something like that!
~ Sarah
That's great! That was the motivation he needed. :)
That's great!!! Good job Bridger! I love hampsters! I grew up with about 20 total! Just a few pointers (I learned the hard way on some of these): don't ever buy the litter with the green stuff in it...it poisons the little guys. And they can get this disease called "wet tail" which was always fatal in my cases. Make sure he doesn't sleep under his water bottle...and just clean the cage once a week. He's a cutie! Enjoy!
He looks so proud. That a wonderful idea to do with kids if they want something bad enough.
Grant has been begging for a hamster. Maybe we need to work out a deal like this for him.Way to go Bridger!!
Post a Comment