Dave has been so excited for the shed hunt that it is the only thing he has talked about lately. So next weekend, we plan to head out of town and do a ton of hiking (yeah!) and look for sheds. To be honest, I'm a little excited my self. These are of some of his most recent finds and the picture to the right is a pair he found last year. He came home very happy that day!
We can see the mountain side from our living room, and in January, Dave was watching some deer from our couch. One of the bucks had one antler left and he said that all of a sudden it made a funny jump/kick. When he looked at it again, the antler was gone! So he made a mental note of where it was and the next morning he went and got it. He came home very happy that day, too!
And then this is the deer Dave harvested last fall. We had it European mounted, which I absolutely love! This deer came out of a bush just next to where Dave was standing and ran right in front of him.
Harvesting a deer is a big thing in our family and we try to use as much of the animal as we can. We donate the hide to the Elks Club, who tan it and give it to Veterans in hospitals. The Veterans then make leather goods out of it, which helps them relieve boredom and make a little money. But, an added bonus about this deer is that it tastes good! Deer is normally very gamy, but this year it has been quite palatable. I feel so blessed to have received this deer.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Dave's Cache
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~These are pictures from last October~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Deer are so beautiful! I learned a lot from this post too! Have fun next weekend!
I love your post because it reminds me of my life as a child. My Dad and older brother are BIG hunters and have several antlers mounted. My husband is not a hunter at all. I kind of miss it. It was always fun to see if they brought anything home. And, I miss the elk/deer jerky. It was pretty good stuff!
How lucky to be in the outdoors! I hope you have good luck over the weekend.
P.S. I can't believe that Dave knew exactly where to find that antler!
It took me a few seconds to realize that you weren't hiking to Lowe's or Home Depot for a shed to put in your backyard! I'm glad that you're looking forward to the hunt and to the hike. Sounds like fun. Cute family photo, too. You're adorable, Chanelle!
Post a Comment