Ok ~ So here is my recipe for the yummiest hot chocolate I've ever had. With all the cream and milk, it acts like a drug and makes me all calm and cozy! I love to enjoy it with homemade ghee and sea salt popcorn and a good book.
You have to make the Dulce de Leche a head of time, but it is super easy (as long as you control your heat) and well worth it.
Dulce de Leche
1 quart whole milk
12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 2 cups, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.
(Note: I use Alton Brown's recipe that I tweaked a little. I prefer my version for many reasons. One is, less sugar per serving; another is, less vanilla is used so it's flavor is not as overwhemling and it's cheaper; and the last is, it blends in hot drinks easier then his version. I usually double it to have more on hand. It is also delicious in Teeccinno, over ice cream, or off the spoon ;). )
Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate
3 servings
3 tablespoons of the best cocoa you can find (I love Scharffen Berger)
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup dulce de leche (or to taste)
Dulce de Leche Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons dulce de leche (or to taste)
In a medium sauce pan, slowly mix the cream and the cocoa to make a paste. Continue to add cream and milk slowly until you have a smooth mixture. Add dulce de leche and slowly heat over medium heat until it is desired temperature. Pour in mugs. Dollop whipped cream on top and drizzle with a little extra dulce de leche. Sit back and enjoy!!!!
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate Recipe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my, that sounds delicious! Despite the fact they are two of my favorite things, I never would have thought of combining the two. I wonder how it would taste with a ginger cookie dipped in it?
Ok...I am totally gonna try that! Yummmmm! Thanks!
Post a Comment