Monday, August 4, 2008

Last Stop -- San Simeon

We went up to see the Piedras Blanca lighthouse, originally built in 1875, but this is as close as we could get because it was closed for the day. It gets it's name from the huge white rocks that are just off the shore. But, get this ~ the rocks aren't naturally white. Huge amounts of birds that reside at the rocks "paint" them that color. It's kind of gross, but it sure makes for a pretty picture ;)





Near Point Piedres Blanca is an elephant seal colony. I loved elephant seals when I was a kid and this is the first time I ever remember seeing them in the wild. They were very lazy and just laid there, except for a couple of prideful males that kept showing off.









With the elephant seals behind us.















In the afternoon we went to San Simeon beach and it was a beautiful day! Here is Bridger running from the surf.















Aubrin wouldn't go near the water, so we brought it to her. :)














PeekaBoo, I see you!















There was a school of fish out in the horizon and the only way we knew they were there was because the pelicans and seals followed them everywhere. Pelicans are such funny birds!







This was our last day on our vacation and it was very hard to come home. But, I'm so grateful for these memories and hope to make many more like them in the future. I'm also grateful to my Heavenly Father for making this wonderful time a possibility. I feel so blessed and love my family so much!

3 comments:

Danica said...

I love San Simeon. When I was little, we visited Hearst Castle and the beaches around San Simeon. I love going back because of all the fun memories.

UtahJenny said...

I am soooo inspired to take a trip to the ocean - just last night I was talking with two women (RS thing) that have NEVER seen the ocean - how sad! I love all your pictures and adventures.

Unknown said...

hi..you is beautiful girl..
can me be your friend?
http://wakrembo-bmw.blogspot.com/