Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Save Xmas!!!!

OK-So, I've never been really offended by the Christmas abbreviation "Xmas." Can't tell you why exactly, but I thought people were making a big deal out of nothing. Then I find out that the "X" actually stands for Christ!! How cool is that. Now I really like "Xmas" and won't feel guilty ever using it and will actually be able to tell people why.

This is why: "...the first two letters of the word Christ (cristoV, or as it would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS) are the Greek letters chi (c or C) and rho (r or R). These letters were used in the early church to create the chi-rho monogram (see Chrismons), a symbol that by the fourth century became part of the official battle standard of the emperor Constantine."
You can learn more details from the article that I read, called The Origin of "Xmas" by Dennis Bratcher.


MERRY XMAS!!

0 comments: